While some of the books I review on my site are furnished by the publishers, authors, or publicists for the purpose of review all of my reviews are truthful, honest, and my sincere opinion.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review: Hull's Landing by James Melzer

Thanks to the author for letting me review this one.



About the Book

Nestled deep in the heart of Pennsylvania is the small borough of Hull’s Landing. While it may seem like just an ordinary place, The Landing holds a secret so dark, that there are those who will do anything to protect it.

For decades, young girls have been disappearing like clockwork. While some have their suspicions, the entire town lives in fear; and for good reason. When Rita Clemens, a former member of the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police, decides to make her new home in Hull’s, she begins to uncover what the locals have tried to keep hidden for so long.

As the race against time begins, Rita will have to do everything she can to protect herself, and to save a child’s life, before one of the world’s oldest evils can be unleashed.

Hull’s Landing is an original novella from the author of ESCAPE, and is Rated R for violence, adult situations, and language.

For more information about James Melzer please visit his website.

You can purchase a copy of Hull's Landing on my Amazon Store.

My Review


This one was a bit difficult for me to read given the subject matter. I have never been abused in any way, and I can't imagine what kinds of feelings are associated with it. The book was really good, but it is a bit graphic and it took an emotional toll on me to read it.

I did like this one. Like I said the subject matter was difficult to read, but the story was really good. It did take me a while to read, as I had to put it down a couple of times and get my head away from it. But I always came back to it because it is such a compelling story.

Rita was an awesome character. She's a take no s**t from no one kind of woman and when she realizes something's up in Hull's landing she won't stop until she figures it out. Her questioning of the locals puts her at odds with many of them, but she just keeps digging. And while I felt that she could handle herself towards the end I felt nervous for her because I kept feeling like she was going to push the wrong person and end up in a horrible situation.

I really liked this one and I will personally be looking for more of Melzer's work. However I do have to warn that this book is not for the faint of heart and deals with a very mature subject matter. I can usually read any subject without having to step away from it, but this one is very strong. It's not offensive (at least I wasn't "offended") but it was hard to read.

No comments: