While some of the books I review on my site are furnished by the publishers, authors, or publicists for the purpose of review all of my reviews are truthful, honest, and my sincere opinion.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Review: Audiobook: Deliver Us From Evil by David Baldacci

Thanks to Anna at Hachette for letting me review this one.



About the Book

In South America a 96-year-old man of great wealth reads a book late one night and an hour later he lies dead in his bed, the secrets of his past starkly revealed. Six months later another mystery man lies dead at the bottom of his pool in a villa in Provence. This time, however, there's a witness at the scene: Shaw, the shadowy operative from The Whole Truth, who barely escapes with his life. Meanwhile, a half a world away, photojournalist Katie James is working on a story of international importance. But shortly after her meeting with a potential inside source, she is smuggled unconscious onto an airplane headed to an undisclosed destination. In the days to come, Katie and Shaw will be reunited in a deadly duel of nerve and wits against a surprising, secretive enemy and led around the world at a breakneck pace. Filled with the kind of breathtaking plot turns and remarkable characters that only David Baldacci can deliver, it will be the most explosive thriller of the year.

To get more info on Deliver Us From Evil please visit Hachette's website.

My Review

This was quite the book. It was kind of disturbing, but it was still a pretty good book. I really liked the narrator in this audio book. His voice was easy to listen to. He used different "voices" for each of the characters, much in the same way I do in my head when I'm reading a book.

The story in this one is great. There were a few characters, but I was able to keep track of who each person was and how they related to the story. Like I said earlier, it was a bit disturbing. There were a few scenes that had I been reading it I probably would have skipped over them. They were a bit graphic and gave me chills, one scene actually made me nauseous.... But the scenes were really necessary for the story. Without the disturbing scenes the character development would have been way off for one of the characters.

That brings me to the characters. They were so well developed. I got a good feeling of who each of them were, and their motivations behind their actions. The opening with Regina was a bit confusing at first, but once I realized what was going on it all made perfect sense.

The writing was excellent. Everything was so well planned and thought out. I don't normally talk about foreshadowing and such in my reviews, because to me the "technical aspects" of a book are not what make or break it for me. But I have to mention that there was quite a bit of foreshadowing in this one. It made me a little more prepared for the gruesome scenes that were coming, but it didn't make them any less disturbing.

This book was so well executed that even despite the gruesome scenes in it I was engrossed in this one. I really liked it and if all Baldacci's novels are written this well I think I'll have to pick up more of them. Truly a great writer.

Deliver Us from Evil

No comments: