While some of the books I review on my site are furnished by the publishers, authors, or publicists for the purpose of review all of my reviews are truthful, honest, and my sincere opinion.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Review: Hot House Flower and the 9 Plants of Desire by Margot Berwin

I want to thank Lauren at Pantheon Books for sending me this one.



My Review:

I picked up this book only because the title sounded interesting. I didn't read any reviews on it, nor did I read through the description. They say not to judge a book by it's cover, but I did, and I'm happy.

This was a very good book. It has love, romance, lust, greed, passion, death, spirituality, and just about everything else. For a debut novel, I'd say that Margot Berwin did a great job. She's left me with high expectations for her next novel.

The story takes place in New York and Mexico, the Yucatan to be specific. As Lila, Armand, Diego, and Exley are all on the hunt for the illusive Nine Plants of Desire. Oh what a tangled web Ms. Berwin has weaved...

This story was exciting. It was pretty fast paced and it kept me wanting more. The stories behind the nine magical and mystical plants are great. Even with all that Lila went through I want to find these plants. I did do some research on some of the nine and they really do have stories just as great as they are given in this book. (I LOVE when an author does great research!)

I was captivated from the first line to the last. I will be looking for a second novel for sure!

To find out more about Hot House Flower and the Nine Plants of Desire please visit Random House's website.

While reading this I kept thinking about The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, it wasn't the same kind of story but some of the plants in this one were in that one, and it was also a good read!

No comments: