While some of the books I review on my site are furnished by the publishers, authors, or publicists for the purpose of review all of my reviews are truthful, honest, and my sincere opinion.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Review: The Knight Life by Keith Knight

Thanks to Anna at Hachette for letting me review this one.



About the Book

The Knight Life is a hilariously twisted view of life through the eyes and pen of its creator, community-oriented urban hipster and award-winning cartoonist Keith Knight. The Knight Life deftly blends political insight and neurotic humor in a uniquely fluid and dynamic style, offering a comic strip that's fresh, sharp, topical and funny. Designed for daily newspapers, The Knight Life follows Knight's long-running, 2007 Harvey Award-winning weekly comic strip "The K Chronicles," which appears on salon.com.

An unabashedly provocative political and social satire, The Knight Life tackles contemporary issues like consumer culture, bacon, the media, race, family and everything else, gently mocking the minutiae of daily life with self-deprecating humor, honesty and goofiness-a combination that's perfect for the comics. And The Knight Life's energetic style reminds readers that comics can look funny as well as read funny. The result is accessible yet edgy, compassionate and political-and never preachy. Cartoonist and comic historian R.C. Harvey said, "The Knight Life is undeniably the best new laugh- and thought-provoker on the comics page. Not since Calvin and Hobbes has there been so novel an entertainment in the funnies."

For more information about The Knight Life please visit Hachette's website.

Stop by The Knight Life website.

Visit Keith Knight's website.

Follow Keith Knight on Facebook and Twitter.

My Review

I don't normally read comics (as I don't normally read the newspaper) but as a kid that was the first section I read. While I'm not familiar with The Knight Life I did find it quite interesting.

I really liked Keith Knight's sense of humor. He is witty, self-deprecating, and smart. The humor in these comics strips was right up my alley. I liked the notes that he put with some of the strips. He lets us know when some were changed for publication, what he liked about them, why he wrote them, etc. It was nice to get inside his head a bit.

Being that the strip is auto-biographical it makes me wonder. Obviously the scenes are sensationalized a bit, but you wonder what really happened to make him write that particular strip.

There were quite a few good ones that I had to share. Some of them really make you think for a minute before you start the next one. I guess that a sign of a great cartoonist, being able to get a point across without being blatantly obvious.

I liked this one and I'll be keeping my eyes open for more of his comics.

The Knight Life: "Chivalry Ain't Dead"

No comments: