While some of the books I review on my site are furnished by the publishers, authors, or publicists for the purpose of review all of my reviews are truthful, honest, and my sincere opinion.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Guest Blogger: Kurt Frenier

Today I have a special guest. It's been a while since I've had any guest posts, but rest assured they're on their way again :-)

So today author Kurt Frenier is going to share with us. Kurt has written Reunion of the Untouchables. So here's Kurt!


People tell me two things when they find out I’m a published author. The first is a question: “OMG, how can you possibly combine this with your heavy day job?” The second is (nearly always) a confession:”You know, writing was always a dream of mine, but I just never got to it1”

Let me talk a bit about those, and use that to give you some insights in who I am and why and how I think about writing.

Combining work with writing
I must admit, this is a rare phenomenon. I am not an author that lives of his work. My writing is very much in the fringes of my life right now. Most people who know me, know the “professional” (read: work) side of me, not the author’s side. In the twelve years that I’ve worked at PepsiCo, I haven’t met anyone that has published a book. There are of course a lot of people in the company, and I obviously haven’t met them all. I do have a heavy day job, yes, being a senior director in the company, covering a large geography (Middle East and Africa). But here is what makes it work for me: writing is my #1 hobby! I don’t watch sports on TV, don’t go out much (yep – I’m a family man), don’t have excessive hobby’s – so not much else to do really. Writing is my choice of hobby. I could have done something else. So, I write, write and write. It took me a while to come to a stage where I can actually balance work and writing and make it worth it. For many many years, I have to admit, I did focus only on work. And I’m glad I did. It got me where I am now. But I always kept writing in some form or other, (and that is key), even though very irregularly: from music, to poems, to scribbles with plot ideas. The good thing: I kept everything I every put on paper! And I kept going! Somewhere in the back of my mind, I always knew I wanted to write more. Now, it is my second life. I write whenever I can: on planes, in airports, in hotels, and in the weekend if family activities allow it.

Why I can combine it with work? Simple – I just do it. I want it, so I do it! And I have found a place in my head for it as well: I know it is the perfect escape from work, the perfect way to let go. As a writer, you need to be able to get into that cocoon, to step into that fantasy world that helps you put ideas on paper. That’s exactly what I do. And for those who say: I want to write, but just can’t find the time, my answer is: GET A LIFE. You need to find something that makes you tick. If that is writing, create the time. It’s not that difficult.

The dream of writing.
It is sad, to hear so many people say they have dreams they don’t pursue. What’s holding them back? I dreamed of being a published author when I was fifteen or sixteen. I was already writing at that time, from philosophy (in search of myself), to poems (venting frustrations of love and all), to short novels (when I read them back now, they are obviously worthless), to music (I’ve been in several bands; playing the guitar). Creativity is obviously somewhere in my blood. That’s why I loved playing music, that’s why I dressed differently as a teenager, that’s why I have a marketing job, and a gazillion ideas for books and movies! It was my first daughter that reignited my urge to pick up my writing again, after a long long period of career-only focus. That was beginning of 2006, when my wife was pregnant. As of then, I took away the barriers that I built into my head, and just wrote away. It seemed I had and still have a lively imagination! When in 2007 a small publishing company in Holland said they were interested in my work, I was in heaven. Since then, more and more, roles are turning around: I feel more of a writer first, then a manager/director. I try to write every day. I LOVE IT > AND ... I am living my dream! And so, I believe that anyone can go after their dream. You just have to take the first step, and then keep going – slowly but surely. One day, without really realizing it, you’ll be there. Now, don’t get me wrong: I’m not “there” yet; not by a long a shot. And frankly speaking, I don’t really care, as long as I can do what I love. Now, selling a million copies of remains a dream – and I’ll continue chasing it! Dream big, and make your dream a reality; that’s my message.

Kurt Frenier Factoids
I was born Aries, in Belgium, on the 2nd of April 1969, year that man set foot on the moon. I am happily married and have two lovely daughters, Julia and Emilie. Since 2007, I live in Dubai, on assignment for my company, Pepsi-Cola, where I am regional Marketing Director for M.East and Africa. My website: http://kurtfrenier.webs.com

Thank you for reading!

Thank you Kurt for sharing with us. I think your belief in just do it, can be applied to any facet of a person's life. If there is something you want you just have to go for it. I hope that you do sell a million copies of your book, and you seem to have the drive to make that dream a reality! Working, taking care of a family, and having a life seem to get in many people's ways. But where there is a will there is a way!

No comments: