While some of the books I review on my site are furnished by the publishers, authors, or publicists for the purpose of review all of my reviews are truthful, honest, and my sincere opinion.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Guest Blogger: Stephanie Draven

Today I am happy to have author Stephanie Draven as a guest blogger. Her latest book Poisoned Kisses came out earlier this month. Here is Stephanie to talk about how her books come together.



Sometimes the Sex Comes First

Usually, when I’m writing a story, the first thing that comes to me is a premise. For example, when I wrote Midnight Medusa, I knew I wanted to write a story about a modern day gorgon. Other times, I’ll get a character voice in my head and I want to know more about him. But sometimes, when it comes to writing paranormal romance novels, it’s the sex scene that comes to me first.

This is important, because the way an intimate scene unfolds can tell me more about the people I’m going to write about than any character study might. The setting of the sex scene tells me if my characters are desperate people or hedonists, if they’re exhibitionists or very private. The position they choose often tells me who is sexually dominant and who is uninhibited. The way in which my characters will fall into bed reveals either a slow and steady seduction, the mark of self-control, or an animal hunger. If there’s any whiff of taboo about the love scene, anything
subversive about it at all, I try to deconstruct what it says about my heroine’s deepest fears and desires. In short, a sex scene should never just be a sex scene. It’s another opportunity to give the reader insight and to develop your characters at their most raw.

Another reason to start with the love scene is to make sure that it’s something I can appreciate as an author. What turns my characters on doesn’t always have to be what turns me on--but it can’t be anything that bores me. And in a romance, it can’t be anything that repulses me, or else it will repulse the reader too.

To that end, I’m of the firm opinion that a love scene should be as hot as an author can make it within the confines of the genre, or else close the bedroom door. But the heat comes from the scenario--the set-up, if you will. Otherwise, it’s all about inserting tab A into tab B and that’s not very exciting, which is exactly why starting with the sex scene might actually be the best way to
begin writing a romance novel.

Stephanie, I think you make a great point. I've always wondered about love scenes in books. Even when following the same author the love scenes are usually so different from character to character. I can't imagine that every scene is one that the author is turned on by, because they are so different. And I like the idea that the sex scenes give you a better idea of who the characters are. I've never really looked at those scenes as giving insight but to see if from your point of view I get it now. Thank you so much for sharing with us. I have my copy of Poisioned Kisses in hand and am now eagerly waiting to get to it!


You can get more information about Stephanie and her novels at her website.

Thank you for reading!

No comments: