While some of the books I review on my site are furnished by the publishers, authors, or publicists for the purpose of review all of my reviews are truthful, honest, and my sincere opinion.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Review: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Got this one from PaperbackSwap.com Join our book club and swap used books for FREE - PaperBackSwap.com



My Reivew

This book was great, I've read some good books lately but this on blows just about everything else out of the water.

The story is told from two perspectives, that of Mariam and Laila. The story follows these two as they grow up in Afghanistan during the 70s through 20002. Through their eyes we get to see how governmental changes in Afghanistan affect the people that live there. These two women deal with the changes forced upon them in different ways, even as their lives cross paths.

This was a very well written story. The characters were very well developed. Hosseini has a way with written word that just captivates you. Not only was the story captivating but it was very emotional. The strings that Hosseini ties around your heart get pulled at continually. I have to admit that I cried quite a few times during this story. I was almost sobbing near the end.

Not only does this story give us outsiders a view of what life is like in Afghanistan but it connects us with both women in a way that I became involved in what was happening to them.

Great book, I would recomend anyone who hasn't read it to read it.

To find out more about the book or the author visit Khaled Hosseini's website.

5 comments:

Mari said...

I have had this book on my shelf since last Christmas. I have to read it soon.

Missy B. said...

I haven't read this one yet. Thanks for the great review!

Becca said...

I completely agree that this was a well-written story that "blows other books out of the water"! I loved this book and I have it on my shelf to read again in the future! Great review.

Sheila DeChantal said...

Another one on my shelf that I have yet to get to. But I will! Great review!

Stephen T said...

A truly heart-wrenching story of Pride, Oppression, Struggle, Love, Regret, Sacrifice…A must read book for all..After reading this book it’s like you begin to see the world in a different light. The letter that Jalil leaves behind for Mariam is just so beautifully written just as the letter that Hassan leaves for Amir in The Kite Runner. Amazing works by Khaled Hosseini