While some of the books I review on my site are furnished by the publishers, authors, or publicists for the purpose of review all of my reviews are truthful, honest, and my sincere opinion.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Review: Guest House by Barbara K. Richardson

Let me thank Barbara Richardson for sending me a review copy.



About the Book:

This debut novel follows the unusual road two loners take toward home. Can real love close the distance?

Driving home from work on a summer afternoon, Melba Burns witnesses a nightmare collision. The wreck ends her pursuit of success at any cost—Melba parks her car, quits her job and stops driving. She retreats into her beloved old farmhouse, yearning for a simpler peace.

But peace and Melba’s new roommate, JoLee Garry, have never met. A shallow, self-absorbed stunner, JoLee magnetizes messes and trouble. She brings boyfriends, booze and a tag-along son with her—a series of unexpected guests who transform Melba’s solo life into something different, daring and richer.

This fast-paced, contemporary novel moves between Portland, Oregon and Atomic City, Idaho, the absolute center of nowhere. GUEST HOUSE explores the grace that comes from daring to intervene in a stranger’s suffering. It will appeal to those who have forgotten the power that comes from living simply, and to anyone in their middle years whose life has been hijacked by love.

"This being human is a guest house,” Rumi says, “Every morning a new arrival…” Arrivals come and go in Melba Burn’s life: JoLee Gary who can’t shake her addictions, her husband Gene Garry, who won’t give up on love, and Matt Garry, their unwanted son who will stop at nothing until he has found his own way home.

My Review:

WOW! This was a great book. I truly didn't want it to end.

The writing was so easy to read, it just flowed beautifully. The characters were all so well developed. The story was quite a journey of highs and lows. This story touches on almost all human emotions; love, hate, betrayal, fear, jealousy, loneliness, power, and everything else.

When I say I didn't want the story to end I truly mean it. I could have just kept right on reading about Melba, JoLee, Gene, Matt, Bill, and everyone else. I became so attached to all of them. Even though they weren't all the best of people they were all so real. I could relate to all of what they were thinking, feeling, and experiencing.

I just got so lost in this book. It was so real, I felt as if I was becoming a part of the story.

I don't want to give up my copy, but per author's request I will be passing it along. Even more than I want to keep it, I want to share it with others.

Great book!

To find out more about Guest House please visit Barbara Richardson's website.

As I stated I will be passing this one along. First I want my mother to read it. Once I get it back from her I will pass it along to one of my readers. So please keep your eyes open for a future post with more details.

No comments: