While some of the books I review on my site are furnished by the publishers, authors, or publicists for the purpose of review all of my reviews are truthful, honest, and my sincere opinion.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Review: Frigate: November by Robert Wacaster & Paul DeGeorge II

Thank you to Robert for sending me this book to review.



About the Book:

United States Naval Commander Marlon Smith is a renegade. After striking another naval officer, he is sent to command the U.S.S. November. She's a ship full of problems. But after taking command, he finds out she's more than she appeared to be. The November hides secrets he hadn't counted on, and with a Navy Seal in charge of the Ship's Defense Force, an Air Force Sergeant in charge of intelligence, a Jewish Chaplain, and a supporting cast of other crazies, he'll be taking her out on a wild pirate hunt. Come along on an adventure you will never forget, aboard the Frigate: November!

My Review:

There's so much I want to say about this one I don't know where to start. First off I didn't think I'd like a Navy book as much as I did! I know little about the military and have never has a particular interest in understanding how the military works. But since I love to read and will rarely turn down a book I agreed to read it in hopes that something would be interesting about it... And there was some interesting things in it, like the whole book!

The book is well written, even when "navy" words are used I still was able to understand what was going on. Plus it's a fairly humorous book there were a few times when I'd read a passage to whoever was around because I didn't want everyone to think I was nuts for laughing while reading a book with a picture of a ship on the front (How humorous could a book about a boat be?)

I really liked the cameos in this book. And I only use cameos because I don't know what else to call it. You'll have to read it to figure out what I'm talking about :-)

The book is paced really well. Even though it did take me a while to read this one it wasn't because the story moved slowly, I just kept getting called away from it... The chapters are also pretty short, which is good for when you have to keep setting it aside....

There really isn't anything I didn't like about this book. The characters were well developed. The speech was realistic. And the end was a surprise. While I already let Robert know how I thought it should have ended I have to say that the ending he used works very well....

Overall a good story. I think I'm going to have to read some of Wacaster's other works (which is good since I already have a few sitting here!)

Frigate: November

No comments: