While some of the books I review on my site are furnished by the publishers, authors, or publicists for the purpose of review all of my reviews are truthful, honest, and my sincere opinion.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Review: Web of Deceit by Darlene Cox

I got a review copy of this one from Bostick Communications.



About the Book

Peter Brock is a man to be envied. He is young, handsome, intelligent, a founding partner of one of New York’s most prestigious law firms, and a respected member of the International Community of Currency Traders. But, that isn’t enough to fulfill his goal in life. When he meets James Campbell , a very wealthy New York diamond dealer who would like to keep more of his wealth out of the hands of the IRS, Peter starts weaving a web of deceit to divert the bulk of Campbell’s wealth to his own account. But, he needs a little help.

He enlists Delilah, a strip-club dancer, to learn, through pillow talk, the extent of Campbell’s wealth; and Jenny, a fl ight attendant for a major airline, to smuggle loose diamonds to Europe on international flights. As a co-conspirator, how can Campbell yell “foul” at the risk of spending his remaining days in a Federal prison? The perfect Plan—so Peter thinks. Unfortunately, his law partner, Jack Morrison, gets wind of the Plan and decides to toss in his ante.

Now the game gets interesting—a case of diamond cut diamond. When two people wind up dead, Jack says “enough,” leaving Peter hopelessly entangled in his web.

As Jack says: “That’s what happens when little fish try to swim with the predators.”

My Review

This had a pretty good story. It took a few chapters to really get into the story, but once it took off it really went. It was a pretty faced paced story (excluding a few parts) that really did keep you guessing.

The character development was ok. I didn't really connect with any one character, but they were all believable characters. While the flashbacks do help to connect who each character is and how they are part of the story, they do seem to detract a bit from the overall story line. Some of the flashbacks were a bit long and gave a little more information than I felt was necessary.

The mystery of whodunit really was done quite well. I never expected the ending, not even a clue... Which made me have to rethink everything I was figuring. When I read the paragraph that made me realize who was responsible I had to read a few times to make sure I was reading it right. I like those endings that really throw you off. And it wasn't a crazy ending, it was just unexpected.

It was a pretty good story, but there were a few distractions. I'd say it was enjoyable to read and given the chance I'd read another of Cox's books.

Web of Deceit

No comments: