While some of the books I review on my site are furnished by the publishers, authors, or publicists for the purpose of review all of my reviews are truthful, honest, and my sincere opinion.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review: Drawn to Injustice by Timothy Masters with Steve Lehto

Thank you to Steve Lehto for sending me this book for review.



About the Book

Timothy Masters was a lonely, troubled teenager with a penchant for gory artwork when he first saw Peggy Lee Hettrick…

…her dead, mutilated body nearly frozen in the early morning of Fort Collins, Colorado. Not believing it could really be a dead body, thinking he was the victim of yet another prank by his abusive classmates, the fifteen-year-old didn’t go to the police—but they came to him. So began a decade-long investigation led by a relentless detective who was sure that Masters was the killer, even without a shred of physical evidence.

Against all reason, a conspiracy of silence and circumstantial evidence eventually put Masters behind bars. Only the determination of a lone investigator who believed the young man was innocent would reveal the shocking truth, and free Masters after ten years in prison.

This is the compelling true story of one life ended in blood and murder, one life ruined by coincidence and prejudice, and justice long denied but finally found.

You can purchase a copy of Drawn to Injustice on my Amazon Store.

My Review

 It's hard for me to review this one without judging what happened to Timothy Masters. He was accused of a murder he clearly didn't commit and was convicted because a detective didn't want to admit he'd made a mistake?!?!?! I know that kind of stuff happens more often than we know of, but it just killed me to read this story. Throughout the entire thing I just wanted to smack the detective and the prosecutors that were working on this case.

Having said that the story was really good. It was filled with suspense, I think it's because we obviously know how it ends, and all the major plot twists, but I wanted to know exactly how these things played out. With each new chapter I couldn't help but try to figure out what was going to happen in that chapter. It really made me not want to put this one down. I just wanted to keep reading because I wanted to know how this all happened. This one would have made a really good fiction book. Master's life had so many twists in it that I kept thinking to myself "I can't believe this really happened". But it did, which is so sad.

The writing was really good too. Everything just flowed. The writing was more like a conversation than a report or a listing of facts. That's a weird way to describe it, but it was just so easy to read, it felt so natural. I liked that Masters gives us a peek into what was going on in his head while all of this was going on. I can't really imagine going through what he went through, but having his "commentary" made it at least a little more understandable.

This is a well-written book about a horrible tragedy and how it ruined one man's life. It sickens me that this happened, but I'm glad that Masters had the courage to put his story out there. It was enjoyable to read and it brings light to a flaw to our justice system that likely still claims victim today.

Just a note: my copy was an ARC. There are supposed to be some pictures in the final release, these were not included in the ARC.

No comments: