While some of the books I review on my site are furnished by the publishers, authors, or publicists for the purpose of review all of my reviews are truthful, honest, and my sincere opinion.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

What I Want to Read: Lucrezia Borgia

So my "I want to read that" list is so long that I'll likely never get through it - as it grows daily... But there are some on my wish list that I really want to read. Hopefully I'll have a chance to get to the "important" ones some day, but until then they sit on my Amazon wish list waiting for me to pick them!

This week's What I Want to Read: Lucrezia Borgia: Life, Love, and Death in Renaissance Italy


Why I want to read this

I've been captivated by The Borgias on Showtime since the first episode. The second season ended a few weeks ago, if you've not watched the show I highly recommend it. But beware it is a mature audiences only show. Murder, sex, violence, and that's just the first 10 minuets... It's just one of those shows I can't stop watching. I watched every episode when it came on, and then through the week I'd usually watch that week's episode once or twice more. It's also available for instant streaming from my cable company, so if I have an hour with nothing to do I've been known to rewatch an episode or two.

I never really took any history classes that weren't required of me, and for those that were required I stuck to American history. I like history now, but as a teenager I didn't find history exciting. It was just a lot of "facts" to memorize and that's not how I learn. So when this show came on I had no idea who The Borgias were and why they were important enough for a television show. Now that I've been living with them for two years I've started to do some research and that whole family is just so enthralling to me. I don't understand how they could be so powerful - in the church even, and be so dishonest, deceitful, disloyal, and just all around pretty horrible people. Lucrezia seems to be a fairly influential member of the family and I think my "in depth" Borgia research should start with her.

Have you ever done any research on The Borgias, if so what was most facinating/disturbing/horrifying thing you learned about the family?

So what's on your wish list this week? 

-Jennifer

No comments: